Friday, March 5, 2010

I feel Great!!!

I just had a tonsillectomy yesterday. Today is the 1st day after the surgery and I feel GREAT!!! Better than I have in a long time. How amazing is that?

I had read up on many testimonials of adult tonsillectomies (online) and had learned all about how terrible and horrible the recovery period is for an adult facing a tonsillectomy ... and how miserable these people were during their recovery.

Just wow! I am so lucky to be in this very NICE recovery place.

My dr./surgeon surprised me right after the surgery by saying that I can eat any foods I want at any time and that the foods would not harm my throat in any way. I loved hearing that. (Nothing makes me want something more than to be told I can't have it.)

Yesterday evening I had almost a complete (although very small) slice of Donato's thin-crust cheese pizza. I also had my share of amazing-flavored Berry Blue jello and strawberry jello and puddings ... even a few crackers with some cheese (they dissolve well.)

But, today I went to lunch with my husband at On The Border and ate a cheese enchilada and some CHIPS with cheese (Queso). Yummy!! (It did take me long time to eat each chip, so I was only able to eat maybe a handful, but I just can't believe I ate tortilla chips one day after a tonsillectomy!

I am not trying to be a hero or anything, or over-tax my body in anyway. But, I just feel GOOD and I want to enjoy it! I have done nothing against the doctor's orders. The best part of this surgery has been the help with my kids, not having to cook, and having my husband home (even though he is working in every spare moment from his office lap top.)

I am not sleeping well yet (but then I wasn't sleeping well before; not since Oct. 7 2009), so that is not something I am upset about. My throat hurts when I sleep, so I doze in small time increments. I have my little timer/alarm set for medicine times and then I wake up a whole lot in between those times too. It's not bad because every time I wake up I take a drink of water and keep my throat lubricated. Yesterday alone I drank an entire bottle of berry flavored Juicy Juice ... yummy and full of vitamin C (to help me to heal).

Hands-down, nothing beats the jello for a soothing throat snack. It's better than the Italian ice because the jello just slithers all over my throat and it's cold, but not freezing (shocking), like the Italian ice.

Now, the amazing part. I stood in my kitchen today with my mouth closed and took a deep breath through my nose ... and breathed all the way in until my lungs were FULL. I don't ever remember doing that in my entire life. I could breathe through my nose, but not to that extent, ever. And, I am still recovering!!! Things are swollen back there still but I can already tell a huge difference.

The nurse who prepped me at the surgery told me that she had a tonsillectomy as an adult and has not been sick since. I am sure that is luck, or maybe she was talking about being sick with some type of throat illness, strep, or whatever. I get sick A LOT and I just have a feeling I am not going to be as ill anymore. The surgeon told me that my tonsils were very large "bigger than most people's." Perhaps they were a pretty large trap for germs (just my thoughts).

This has been a very empowering year so far. Turning 40 has been such a turning point for me. My mammogram came back normal and I have been allergy tested, CAT scanned (prior to the tonsil surgery), had an EKG (normal) and have been prescribed new medicines (for my allergies). And these are just the medical things I have taken action on. So much more has also taken place for me this year. I will blog more about those things in another post though. It's time for me to do a bit of reading and catch some cat naps while my mom takes the kiddos to their play date.

Oh how I love having play dates again for my kiddos!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Susan, I am so happy to hear you are feeling good. I didn't remember any banned foods when Adrienne had her surgery, it was pretty much food as tolerated. She was only 7 so I think fear kept her on soft foods longer.
Keep resting when you can.
Why do you remember the date of when you last slept well, something significant?

Jill Green said...

Wow Susan, that's amazing. I was down for over a week when I had my tonsillectomy. The forced confinement made me have severe panic attacks on top of it.

I'm glad you're enjoying the time with your kiddos. :)

Jill

Crazy Mom of Three said...

Anita, that was the date that I came down with sinus-related laryngitis and it was so rough, way rougher than this. Then, I was continously sick after that with bronchitis (since I have reactive airways, this is always and event), then the most painful strep throat of my life that lasted a week .... then continuous coughing until Jan. 20 (when dr. finally found me an inhaler that took away the coughing). I was just so exhausted of begin sick. This whole last month, while waiting for the surgery, I could tell that breathing was just taking so much effort .. because I was simply tired from the months prior.

Crazy Mom of Three said...

Jill, that is amazing. I don't know how I got so lucky. But, I was miserable with far worse symptoms over the last months, so maybe it is my perspective. However, I just cooked up two eggs over easy and half of an english muffin and just finished almost all of it with a half glass of milk. I don't think I am going to be losing any weight with this surgery ... but that's o.k.