Friday, February 19, 2010

Surgery and other little reflections

My tonsillectomy is less than two weeks away and I can't believe that I am excited about it. I am very likely going to be eating those words in a few weeks, but I am just so focused on all of the benefits that I am likely to receive from going through this ... #1 is easier breathing ... I just can't wait! Bring on the pain so that I can get to recovery fast!!

On another note, I love my daughter's Co-op preschool. It's just such a happy, social place full of cuteness (the things the kids do and say) and the other parents are just so awesome. Today I showed up at preschool to assist and I was unprepared to stand out in three feet of snow (I didn't know we were taking the kids out in the snow first thing) ... so I jokingly asked if anyone (the parents dropping kids off) wanted to trade me shoes for a few hours! I was joking, but someone readily volunteered their boots to me and we wore each others' footwear for a few hours while I worked in the class. How cool is that????

As far as my housekeeping goals, they are just a work in progress. I continue to aspire to being a more decluttered, picked-up type of mom. My laundry is in a "decent" place, although far from done, and the kids do have too many toys and too many clothes (my biggest laundry challenge). Other than that though, I am not too much of a clutter mongrel in general. I have been able to get through my own clothes, books, piles and doo-dads fairly quickly. I think keeping the kids involved in the pick ups will be a key to my sanity, as well as continuing to focus on decluttering toys the little ones no longer play with.

As for my eating and exercise goals, well, it's a daily challenge. I am learning my weak moments and I think as long as I don't let myself get unconcious about my eating ... and as long as I keep taking the actions I have listed here in my blog for the most part, I can stay with a better lifestyle than I was following before. I am only looking for better health, not perfection .... so, not a bad thing. I have found that I have an addiction to certain hard candies. I am considering giving up conversation hearts and root beer barrels more permanently. I find that I cannot stop eating these when they are in my house .... crazy huh?!

As for exercise, I cannot wait to walk outside as soon as Spring begins to show itself. That is my favorite cardio exercise. I admit that the treadmill bores me to tears even though I have learned how to read a magazine while walking on it. I do love the weight machines though at the health club. Weight training is my anchor exercise (what I do at least twice per week even if I don't do any other exercise). The exciting this is that I can tell that I am firmer and stronger. I have lost some weight. I am still overweight. But, the improvement is energizing. The challenge here will be when I have to stop the exercise for awhile to recover from my surgery ... it is a great thing that Spring is coming to remind me of my goals!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think being aware and working on goals is the important thing...learning and growing!

Valerie said...

Just an FYI...you can only eat your words if they're liquified after surgery ROFLOL

Crazy Mom of Three said...

LOL Val!!