Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ahhhh Sleep!!!

Last night I slept for nearly 8 hours total. After the previous night, this was such a blessing. The tonsillectomy, (I am now on day 3), had caused some swelling in the back of my throat that was causing me to choke after just a few minutes of sleep (no matter what position I was in, including upright in a chair). Then I would wake up quickly and feel pain in my throat.

But last night was better and so was today. Soooooo, most of today was spent lying down, dozing and reading a variety of magazines. I can't concentrate long enough to read the books I had planned to read during my recovery yet. I can only read in brief bursts, then I doze. I think it is the pain meds. But, I feel very relaxed and peaceful. And the magazines my mother saved for me to read have been perfect :)

My throat pain today was still just moderate. I do tire of eating the more complicated foods (pizza, chimichanga's, mac and cheese) and I must have a blend of those with softer foods to handle eating well. Tonight I really enjoyed my Jello and Ramen Noodles for dinner ... but I wasn't fully satisified until I added half of an English Muffin. Super yum!

Per the doctor, tomorrow could be a bad day. Anywhere from day 4-10 can be a step back I guess. I remain hopeful that I won't notice any increase in pain or discomfort. TV dinners came in handy tonight for the kids and dh. I really love not having to cook for anyone. That continues to be a treat, as does all the help with the kids. Dh was my only helper today though, but it was bliss.

My kids have actually been very helpful. I have a tone that is not about choices for them, so that helps. But, they have been taking laundry up and down the stairs and putting it away as directed (I help and manage the putting away with them. And I also load the new load in myself. But I don't lift out any wet loads or move whole loads myself. This is actually a pretty nice routine for ongoing (hoping). My laundry continues to be more caught up than usual and I have not over-exerted myself. In fact, it feels like vacation laundry to have this much help :)

Right now I am looking forward to another night of sleep and being that much further along in the healing process tomorrow!

No comments: