Monday, March 22, 2010

Life Lessons from a Tonsillectomy ....

I learned a few things from having my tonsillectomy that I don't want to forget. The experience itself was life changing for me. Perhaps it was mostly due to having this particular operation tied into my personal goal for resolving some long-time breathing issues of mine in honor of my fifth decade of life.

For one thing, I can breathe now even though my throat is still very swollen from the surgery! Yes, my husband said he didn't know I was in the bed the other night! (I recovered from my tonsillectomy in my living room, mostly sleeping upright in various reclining chairs.)

The reason he didn't know that I was in bed was that I went to bed after him and I apparently didn't snore all night! I was able to lay down and sleep for the first time in many months while also being able to BREATHE! And nobody has ever told me in my entire life that I slept for ANY amount of time without snoring. This seems like a very good sign. Maybe I will actually, FINALLY, be a princess when I sleep :)

In my opinion, any improvment is welcome as to my snoring; but, I am personally most interested in BREATHING well, sleeping sounder and having less nightly jabs in my gut for the rest of my life. I hope it works out like that.

But regardless, it was a positive life experience and there are some lessons learned that I don't want to forget. So here they are --

Note: It is interesting to me how I developed some new habits over a 10-14 day recovery period. Those habits developed fairly easily because they were repeated often, over the course of several days, and were due to the need to cope with both pain and getting to the point of recovery (so I found myself having to do them to get through the days).

From the recovery experience, here are some things I want to apply ongoing ....


Tonsillectomy Habit #1 -- Have a cold, non-milk beverage beside me at ALL TIMES and drink often whether I am thirsty or not.


How I want to continue to apply this lesson in my life from now on -- I was a milk addict. Milk was too thick and pasty to drink during my tonsillectomy (yes, even skim). I had to turn to more water-based drinks during my tonsillectomy recovery and I found that Juicy Juice became my new desired drink over the course of my recovery period. But, Juicy Juice has too many calories post tonsillectomy. So now, I am choosing water either by itself or with some Crystal Light or Propel in it (to give it that fruity flavor) ... and I am going to keep it by my side all day long .... and drink it for great hydration ... whether I am thirsty or not.


Hoped for result --
Milk and Juicy Juice are way more caloric than water and/or Crystal Light or Propel. I hope to lose more weight than the 2.5 pounds I took off by doing this last week.




Tonsillectomy Lesson #2 -- Jello is a yummy and hydrating snack and is easy to make, especially when I use my rubbermaid containers with lids (which are easier to find a spot for in the refrigerator and very easy to store jello in). Therefore, it is not necessary to worry about using a big, cumbersome 9" X 13" pan to make jello and the water for the jello can be boiled most easily in the microwave rather than the stove.


How I want to apply this lesson in my life from now on -- I want to eat more jello and serve jello to my kids more readily when they get sick. Jello is a wonderful recovery food and it is just fun to eat too.


Hoped for result -- Life with more jello in it and kids who feel extra pampered and cared for when they get sick. And kids who get well faster due to the hydration jello provides too!




Tonsillectomy Lesson #3 -- When family members took my kids out of the house every afternoon for one week during my recovery period (I really miss that by the way), my house did not get near the wear and tear it usually does in the week. This meant less housework ... and who really enjoys housework????? Definitely NOT me!


How I want to apply this lesson in my life from now on -- Consider less housework as a motivating factor and benefit to getting my kids out of the house WITH and WITHOUT me during the course of a week (although I think the WITHOUT me opportunities will be more sparse than the WITH me opportunities in any given week .... oh well!)


Hoped for result -- Less housework at times (???)




Tonsillectomy Lesson #4 -- During my recovery period, I lost my normal sense of taste for a few days and when it came back, it was like my sense of taste was heightened. I also developed a greater appreciation for foods overall as I sought to get through the days while balancing intense throat pain with the need and desire to eat; nourish the body for strength and recovery; and curb hunger. I developed a greater awareness and appreciation for the variety of shapes and textures in foods as well (as they relate to the taste of what used to just seem like normal foods). The shapes and textures of the various foods we have available to eat on this planet are truly a blessing!


How I want to apply this lesson in my life from now on -- I want to eat consciously for LIFE and appreciate every bite; refrain from overeating (which causes a true lack of appreciation for food as well as weight gain.); and enjoy eating any food I desire (while emphazing the importance of PROTEIN and FIBER in every meal).


Hoped for result -- Weight loss .... ALONG with joy in eating from ALL food groups available on this great earth. (Including the chocolate and pastry group. I mean, what is life without chocolate??? Maybe not as sweet.)


Thank you God for great food and for all of the blessings we have on this earth!!!

2 comments:

Anita said...

Sounds like you've made some good discoveries! I'll be checking back to see if the new habits stick. :)

Glad you're feeling much better!

Together We Save said...

Good luck... I am really trying to drink more water.