Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Days 6 and 7

Today was Day 6 of my tonsillectomy recovery. When I wake up tomorrow, Day 7 will begin. Today was my toughest day yet. Still bearable, but some new, weird stuff set in.

Today I had episodes where it was more painful to eat than it has ever been during my recovery. But it wasn't consistent. Other times today, I felt almost all better and that I could eat anything ... or even stop pain medicines completely.

The biggest and weirdest issue I noticed today was that I experienced a lot of sensitivity to noise. My parents brought dinner over and my family was so loud, (mainly the kids just being kids), that I felt like the noise was coming in through my ears and hurting my tonsils. I had to leave the room and sit quietly in the living room before my throat pain could get back in line after my ears became irritated. Strange, huh?

Also, whereas the last two nights Ramen noodles felt like therapy sliding down my throat; tonight, just swallowing them at all was painful. It's too bad too because I would have loved to have finished them up. I am a hungry type of gal ... no bird-like appetite here! But, it's just too painful. Maybe I will lose some weight out of this after all!

Right now I am alternating bites between a bowl of berry blue Jello and a bowl of rainbow sherbert. They each have their pluses, but I am not feeling much help from either of them tonight. I wish I had some plain 'ol Vanilla ice cream; I'm not sure why I didn't think of buying that. For the most part ice cream has felt too cold overall to me during this recovery though.

But, O.K., I am throwing out the sherbert now ... it's worthless ... it just isn't mild enough or something. It's not helping me one bit. I would like to hold fast to the Jello, but it's not working either.

Soooooo, now I am eating a peppermint .... ahhh ... thank God in his heaven for his peppermint!! I think I might survive another night in tact after all. The peppermint is doing a nice job of keeping my tongue busy. My tongue began to feel (just today) as if it has one million canker sores underneath it. I think this is referred pain as it does feel connected to my tonsil area.

I am sure hoping this is the worst that it gets! I have been so blessed, so blessed ... tune in tomorrow for an update on Day 7!

No comments: