Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ready for it to be over

I know it is only a few days away, and I enjoy Christmas ... I really, really do.

But I am ready for it to be over.

Even when it is all planned out and the things I need to do are spread out in a more timely manner, I find myself feeling stressed about this time every year.

One thing that is hard is going to dh's family Christmas on Christmas Eve. Then, the next morning, we do our own Christmas (on Christmas Day). It is too bad we can't spread these two events out a bit more. I think it would be cool to have a day between these two celebrations to sort of enjoy them both more. But, I don't think dh's family would like moving their holiday up several days; and I am not interested in sitting Christmas Day out just to wait until the day after.

So, crunch time begins for us the day before Christmas Eve. That is tomorrow (well, technically today, but I can't sleep).

Here is what I need to accomplish today --

1.) Pick up a fruit tray and make sure we have all items needed to make bread for Christmas Eve dinner.

2.) Wrap a few more gifts at home.

3.) Get to my mom's house and get organized; then, wrap like a maniac ... bag everything up ... and get the bags ready to pick up on Christmas Eve.

4.) Do essential laundry and plan clothing for Christmas Eve.

5.) Stop by library to return overdue books.

6.) Pray we have not overspent this year .... I have lost track just a bit since dh is spending separately to keep my gifts a surprise. I feel pretty certain we are on track, but I will feel better when I know for certain.

7.) Dishes, dishes, dishes ... there always dishes to do and messes to clean-up along the way ....

8.) Prepare and mail two last Christmas cards.

9.) Fill out some paperwork I need to fill out and get it in the mail.

10.) Clean the bathrooms.

That doesn't seem so bad, does it? Hmmm.

Yep, it does! I am still ready for it to be over.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your last two days sound busy, I will be praying you get the chores done and find yourself able to enjoy those family gatherings more.
My advice, take more deep breaths, try to take time to put the real meaning of Christmas into your days, and then enjoy those babies, they all 3 are growing up so fast.

Unknown said...

I thought my list was crazy... I am down to wrapping some "stupid" gifts for the dice game (I hate it) and then preparing the food for CE and Day... but I can do that with my eyes closed... then just maintain the house..but my family so laid back that they don't care (really) how my house looks!

Have a wonderful celebration, Susan!