Friday, December 12, 2008

Feeling Sick

I feel sick to my stomach today. Dh found out that the auto company responsible for his paycheck is cutting production of vehicles again, beginning in January. That plant will close every Monday and Friday in January. Dh's company will likely follow suit.

People can't buy cars in an economy like this. So many people are just struggling to get food on the table each night. Even though the government has provided bailout money, financial companies aren't lending money right now either.

Retirement accounts are dwindling. Dh wants me to look at the budget and see what else we can cut. He thinks we should "act as if" he is being laid off. I think he is right, but I have already been through the budget so much and so often. There isn't a whole lot more to cut that won't be extremely painful. We could cut my cell phone I guess. We could also cut out cable, telephone and Internet. But do we need to go to that extreme?

I just wish I had a crystal ball. I am scared and sick. I know that the reason for Christmas is so much bigger than gifts and presents, but it is just an ugly time of year for this to be happening. I fear another Great Depression.

I honestly wish I knew what was going on for sure. I should get a job. Truth is, I probably need one anyway. My kids, whom I do adore, make me crazy. I think I need an outside life from my kids. It all feels so complicated.

Today I am just sad. It doesn't help that ds is giving me a hard time too. I received another call from the school this week about him and let's just say, he is grounded until Christmas. This just feels like a big drag on the whole family to me. I just want happiness and cheer and love and goodwill. I don't want to have a grounded kid through Christmas :(

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Susan! I feel sad for you! I will pray for peace and positive outlook! Hang in there! Email me if you need to!

Jenn said...

Susan, I feel for you. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. My child has kind of an unique "punishment" for forgetting a paper. He is going to his 5-year-old cousins friend party. My nephew only wants Tanner and three other friends. Tanner, being 11, doesn't want to go play with the 5-year-olds. I told him he gets to go and enjoy with a smile. He is still talking about the upcoming event.

AmySueWho said...

I supported the car industry today, although not the company your DH works for. It is a sad time:( I thought about cutting cell phones too, but it's really not even an option d/t the contract. There's always internet and cable. I think I'd cut cable before internet though.