Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Peace during the holidays

This might be the first year that I am truly peaceful about the upcoming holidays. I might be stressed about other things, but I am not stressed at all about Christmas or New Year's.

I think I can attribute this to two main things:

1.) Planning ahead, and in writing
2.) Creating a detailed holiday budget and sticking with it.

This has actually made December a very peaceful month. Since my shopping is done, I don't go out and look for deals anymore. I don't follow up on all the internet promotions that come my way. There is little left to buy because I am all but done.

I usually loathe wrapping too. But this will be the third year that I have started wrapping earlier and over multiple days (thanks to Flylady) .... to make it less painful. I just find wrapping to be meticulous and stressful. I find it more enjoyable though to wrap a few things here and then a few things there.

This year I might be pacing myself the best I ever have as far as wrapping goes. In the past, I usually still have saved quite a bit to wrap for the last minute. That is just so hard to do now with three kids though, especially with one child who won't stay in her bed!

So, in many ways, this planning is driven by necessity. But it brings more peace than I have ever felt during this time of year.

And as for our Christmas budget? It is right on track ... and even a little under!!!