Sunday, May 24, 2009

When surgery is a vacation

I had to have some wisdom teeth removed. I had been told 1.5 weeks ago that I had an infection in the bone and that at least one tooth needed to be removed pronto. I am a big baby when it comes to surgery (like most people probably are) and I tried and tried to strategize my way out of having to do this. But the day drew near and then it was the night before. I did the six hours with no food or drink thing, slept, and then off dh and I went for the big day.

The oral surgeon showed us the x-rays and pointed out how close two of my teeth were to the nerve tissue. This posed greater risk than if they were not and he recommended that only one of the bottom wisdom teeth come out at this time (fine by me as I wanted to keep them all!) But, I admit I was scared. The oral surgeon spoke of possible numbness there for the rest of my life and such things should the nerve be damaged during surgery.

So, I let dh make the final call (since I was apt to back out of the whole thing) and two of the scheduled three teeth were to be removed in moments. Terrified, I allowed the nurse to put the gas mask on me and within minutes I have no recollection of what occurred. The next thing I knew, I was awake and somewhat dizzy, in no pain, with dh at my side. Within moments we were back in the car and off we went back home.

I had no pain, some amazing medicine and the opportunity to spend the entire day (until 9 p.m. that evening) fulfilling no demands from anybody. Nobody expected anything from me and I slept and I just recovered and ate jello four times that dh made and served to me at appropriate intervals. It was just heavenly, gals, to be able to rest and recover and serve no one. It was so nice to have someone bring me medicine on schedule and be sure I was taken care of.

Not that I want to have surgery of any kind again, but what does it mean that this was just a wonderful and restful experience for me? How does it get to be that surgery feels like a vacation?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear ya sista! When I hurt my back I was on meds...lets just call it a Vicadin Vacation! Whoop Whoop! Don't get the wrong idea...I am not like that...but sure was nice not dealing with anything!

I am glad you are feeling okay!

Unknown said...

When Nick was @ 18 months old I had to have my gall bladder removed, it was a complete surprise and suddenly I was ill and hospitalized with an infection and surgery followed. I was home for 2 weeks from work and thank goodness Kevin was able to take care of me. My kids were all in school or daycare at the time, but that recovery and seeing Kevin take over was amazing.
I hope you continue to improve and heal!