Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Infant Swim Resource

It has been a tough road having two little ones and a back yard pool. I don't really recommend the combination in general. It's dangerous and scary, even with a fence around the pool.

However, many of you know that I first signed the girls up for special swimming lessons when Katie was only just 9 months and Ellie was just 1.75 years old. They have gone back annually for updates and I consider their skills to still be a work in progress since they don't normally demontrate them in our pool.

But tonight, my 3.5 year old was helping her father fish bugs out of the pool (getting it ready for Summer). Dh and I were both out there and both girls were fishing bugs out of the pool. Neither dh or I saw it happen, but we heard the splash. DD#1 fell in the pool fully clothed, including her shoes.

I rushed to where she was when suddenly up pops her head and her hand grabs the side of the pool! This exact skill has been practiced repeatedly at her swimming lessons at ever lesson update. The kids are tested at the end of their sessions to swim to survival fully clothed in attire for every season. It is important to not get over confident, but I am so thankful that my dd has learned this skill enough to rescue herself at age 3.5!

Here is the link for information about Infant Swim Resource http://infantswim.com/. This program is just incredible.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Was she upset when she came up?
We don't have a pool, but my kids had lots of swim lessons too. You really need to be pool/water safe in FL, water is everywhere.
Good job Susan!

Crazy Mom of Three said...

Anita, she was upset due to being cold and she was sort of shocked that it happened. She didn't like it the same as none of us would ... the water was cold and kind of icky. We only had chlorine in it for one whole day. But she was not scared or traumatized in anyway. We did give her a good thorough bath. Katie kind of freaked and started to cry in a panic, but then she got over it when she saw Ellie was o.k. and when we started praising Ellie for finding the wall by herself so good.

Unknown said...

Susan that is so cool that she figured it out. I just read another blog about swim lessons and how the child cries the whole time...but demonstrated her abilities the next day! I think we need to give our kids more credit when learning. Give her a big hug for me!

AmySueWho said...

YAY Ellie!!