Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Just one more day!

Just one more day of school to go for my ds! I honestly don't know why I am so excited about this ... it isn't like I will get to sleep in for at least four weeks due to the schedule we are now on (early a.m. swimming lessons, then 9 a.m. Summer camp for ds for a week).

But, I am excited nonetheless!

One of my biggest challenges with ds in the past during a school break is giving him too much freedom ... such as allowing 3 a.m. bedtimes simply because, I too, am a night owl. This honestly did not used to be a problem until last year when he began pushing beyond that bedtime limit and then became backwards in his daily schedule. Any bed time after 3 a.m. for him works out very badly. This backwards schedule he acquired last Summer was hard to fix, so we are starting out with an early schedule this Summer and I hope to keep it fairly regular like that. (It doesn't always have to be really early, but by 10 a.m., I would like for us all to be heading somewhere or at least dressed and doing something most days of the week this Summer ... this probably sounds easy to many of you who may be reading this, but it just has not been our typical MO in the past ... so we begin fresh with a newly energized way of doing things this year ....) Gotta keep my preteen from getting lazy, ya know?

So, here's to Summer! I hope everyone has a great one, regardless of whether or not yours starts right now, or much later. I do like how the days won't be chopped up by the bus bringing ds home at 2:45 p.m., and then having to be sure he gets his homework done and is in bed by a certain time, with certain papers signed, etc. ... the days seem more leisurely in the Summer due to having more freedom over our daily schedule. They also have the potential to become long as I deal with three people needing things from me all day, every day, all Summer long.

We'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow a 6th grader! I miss the board when it comes to these celebrations!

Lydia's last day is June 11th...but we don't go back to Sept 8!

Here's to a glorious summer!