Sunday, January 25, 2009

Regrets

I have been thinking about regrets. Years ago I vowed to do my best to live my life with no regrets. Of course this is a tall goal. And, for the most part, I don't have anything huge I regret. But, sometimes I wonder about roads not traveled.

I do believe that it would be awful hard to live a life complete without one single regret. I think our lives are exactly as they should be though. And, whatever we might feel we now regret ... well, how are we to know how that other choice would really have turned out for us?

I do know that hindsight sure helps with the 20/20 vision on regrets though. It is impossible to know how different decisions will turn out ... no matter how hard we research each choice, etc. I guess we just have to do our best with each decision and life choice we make along the way and it is also very important to know that we don't really control our own little life boats anyway.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey Susan...it really is hard to know how our choices will affect the future. I am trying to be content with the here and now and focus on the future. I do believe in the trickle down effect and that if something didn't happen in the past how could I possible have what I have now...I speak mostly of my dds and dh...I don't know! Just a thought!

I totally lost my post about 25 thngs and with it lost your questions...after I answered them..poof gone! Too hard to recreate! Bummer!

Unknown said...

I do think about the road not taken. I know there are decisions I made 20+ years ago that have led me to where I am now. Regrets, I'm not really sure, things like, worked harder in school, stayed with an original major etc. I've taken huge leaps of faith moving away from my home etc, and for the most part I like where they've led me.
When you say our lives are exactly as they should be.........I'm not sure I agree. The man that made a poor choice and committed a crime, is he where he should be? It's not something I can say for sure.
I agree, we make the best of the life we have, and try to make the best choices always.

Crazy Mom of Three said...

I think what I mean by "our lives are as they should be" is that our lives are ultimately part of God's plan for us. For the man who made a poor choice and is in prison, I don't know exactly what the design is for him, that kind of thing ....