Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Old Friends

I recently connected with some old friends and former co-workers on Facebook. What an interesting experience to see pictures of and hear about the lives of old friends. I really do appreciate all of the people in my life -- past and present -- for being a part of my own life path. I feel honored to know and to have known such wonderful, intriguing and fun people.

It is interesting to think that there are people out there in the world who have a shared history with me. We are not family and our lives may have taken many different directions. Yet our history ties us together in a unique and special way. Perhaps it is even through an unheard thought put out to the universe? I know that I have thought of different pals, peers and school chums over the years. But I was just shocked to find out that a former school mate said she had thought of me just two days before I connected with her on Facebook! How wow is that?!

I don't know if I would have a lot in common with my former peers and friends today if we were friends in real life. But I do know that I cherish them all and would open my doors and my life to them as if we were children once again and our friendship never missed a beat. It is fun to connect with yesterday ... and the memories of my youth.

"Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold." Do you remember that song? I am just reminded of it today because two of the former friends I connected with used to be Girl Scouts with me. It makes me want to be sure and get my girls involved in scouts someday :) I really don't like to camp at all as an adult, but I wouldn't trade those childhood memories for anything!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl Scouts Rock! I am going out to dinner on Sunday with an old friend... from Scouts...well actually we go way back..

Unknown said...

You know I joined facebook because some of my local friends asking me to do it. Then out of the blue, because I had listed my HS and college, I'm getting messages from friends of 30 years ago........it's wild. One guy set up a class of 78 group, and wow, we've all aged, mostly gracefully, thank goodness.
I loved GS too, my girls were totally not intrested, poopers.