Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Planning for Fall ....

It's that time of the year when the preschools begin enrolling for the next school year. If you want to get into a certain school or class, you have to plan ahead ... spots do fill up.

So, I went ahead and signed the girls up for the Co-op preschool next year. DD#1 goes there now. This will require a daily trip to the school next year though and will allow for only one day per week when both girls are at school during the same day and time.

It is the cheapest option of all options and I love the Co-op. Plus, the teacher for the fours class is just amazing! I LOVE her!

I have been thinking though ...

Some things I have learned thus far when it comes to preschool, myself and my particular kids:

1.) Neither girl wants to go to preschool unless they are both going.

2.) I am not very motivated to get out the door in a timely manner unless both girls are going to school on a given day. The benefits of spending time with just one child while the other is in preschool just honestly do not excite me. They don't excite the child who isn't going to school for the day either. I do get plenty of one-on-one time with each girl at home already; they have their ways. It works out; it's all good.

3.) We are not morning people. We are ideal candidates for afternoon preschools, of which there are few. The Co-op is a morning school. I had not been able to find any afternoon preschool before where both girls could go at the same time. So, we go to morning preschool now. We enjoy the school time, even if it feels earlier than we would prefer ... and then we adore our mornings off during the week even more.

Now, I type all of this for one reason ... it came to my attention that there is a school that I have looked at in the past that has changed their hours for next year. Both girls could go at the same time, to the same school, and for at least 2.5 hours .... wow! And best yet, they have afternoon classes! How nice would that be?!!! It is as if the stars have FINALLY aligned to uncover the nearly perfect preschool for us!

But .... I like the Co-op for the relationship building with the other parents, the opportunity to work closely with qualified teachers in the classrooms where I can observe my own child and share in her learning. I like the price, the proximity of it to my house and the history I have with the teachers there. The other parents are just awesome. I love getting to know them more and more.

In many ways I think the Co-op is better for me than the other school, where I would get a break from both kids and have no need to engage in volunteer work roles. But, the other school would sure be much easier. It is in the afternoons. It is not daily. And both girls would go to the same school during the same times .... just wow ....

So many options out there ....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your processing of this is amazing... I never put that much thought into it.. preschool take it or leave it... I am not a fan!

Unknown said...

I agree with Beth.
Do you think the grass will be greener at another preschool? If you are happy where you are, stop looking.

Crazy Mom of Three said...

Thanks for the feedback. I think I finally have made peace with this topic!