Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Responsible Gift Buying

Almost every day of the year, I buy only the items we really need and really can use. I have trained myself to be a person who does not buy on impulse.

However, about this time of year, every year, when I have already begun the gift-buying process, I get bitten by the shopping bug.

You know that "illness" where you see something for a great deal that someone would like or that would be the perfect gift for someone possibly many months from now? You know that feeling like "it is such a good deal; I have to have this ... and now!"

Well, this year, I am going to resist that urge to overbuy. Typically, in the past, this is when the good old Mastercard would just fly out of my wallet and ring us up a big old debt to begin paying in January.

But, I stopped myself mid-buy yesterday. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

Less is more. Less is more. Less is more.

It has been a long road to get out of debt and there are many hills still to climb to get into a strong financial place.

The economy is in the toilet and we are a single-income family with employment related to the success of the auto industry.

Black Friday is a hard time of year. The credit card bug tries to rear its ugly head.

Just say no. Just say no. Just say no.

I am saying NO to debt after Christmas this year .... for the first time ever since the credit card issuers put my name on a card and gave me free reign.

It is hard.

I am doing it for my kids. I am doing it because it is the right way to do things. I am doing it because it is the responsible way to live.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great plan! We've been holiday shopping debt free for several years, but it was work that first year! Now we save during the year and we plan out what we can really afford, not all what our kids want. They are our biggest dollar amount.
I wish you luck in your plan, be strong, and stay out of the stores...lol.
Just so you know, I still impulse buy at times, but since it's occasional it doesn't hurt our budget.

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Susan...the comment deleted was from me...Lindsay was signed in and I am not use to her using my computer...anyway...what I said was:

We have never used credit for gift buying...never ever. I have used it for other things...mainly vacations... and we are in debt still... My advice is to stay home on Friday!

AmySueWho said...

You are stronger than me. I definitely went out on Black Friday and found several deals. But mostly they were things I had planned to buy anyways. MOSTLY. I know I didn't HAVE to have that GPS, and I put it off when it was over $200, but when I got a real nice one for $120, I couldn't resist. BUT we had saved money so this isn't putting us into debt at least. I still have to remind myself about how stuff, even the stuff you get a good deal on turns into clutter at some point.