Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My future job

Today I had the opportunity to go on a field trip with ds's class. They went to J.A. Biztown, a mock community where the kids held jobs and simulated a real-life economy. Ds worked as a Lab Technician and I helped out at the bank. This trip was just such a special experience for the kids. But, it caused me to think a lot too.

I miss many things about working out in the professional world. I would never give up this opportunity to be home with my children full time right now while two of them are so young. But, I look forward to returning someday to that world.

Here are some things important to me in a future job. I am writing this here in hopes of remembering this someday --

1.) The multi-tasking in a professional environment. For some reason, multi-tasking with my kitchen clean-up and laundry just does not offer the same thrill. I remember the adrenaline rush of working on a deadline, with a team, to bring a project to a successful conclusion. When I return to work someday, I want to remember that I want a busy, active, team environment to work within.

2.) The variety. I need a job where everday is somewhat different than the next, with projects that vary and I want to work in an environment with high standards and respectable leadership.

3.) Autonomy. It is very important to me to work autonomously. If I am micromanaged, I become stifled and very unhappy. This is essential to me in an enjoyable job.

4.) Decent pay. I want to be paid at a rate that makes working worthwhile.

5.) Flexibility. Ideally, I would love to work part-time with a flexible work schedule. But, I no longer want to work from home now that I have three kids.

6.) An office to go to where I can work with people, yet without distraction.

7.) Paid time off ... need I say more ... lol!

8.) A flexible lunch hour and great co-workers to eat with!

9.) Great, caring, interesting and supportive co-workers.

10.) A job where continued learning is important.

11.) When I get bored, I want to find a new job and not just stay somewhere because I have been there so long or because I feel that I can't get a better job somewhere else. I want to grow and learn and then move on and grow and learn some more.

12.) Great retirement benefits as well as other benefits.

13.) And while I am at it, I would like a very large bonus each year =)

There it is. The perfect job. For someday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You crack me up........if you find the perfect job..........you go girl!