Friday, November 4, 2011

Returning to the career world ...

I am not returning to the career world just yet; but it has dawned on me how I could do so if I really wanted or needed to. If we had put our youngest child in preschool where my older two kids go, I would be able to return to work as soon as I found a job. Because they have a terrific before-and-after-care program there.

But, I don't want to return just yet anyway. Well, part of me does. But I have come this far with my younger two kids as a full-time, at-home mom. I want to sacrifice and continue to be home for the kids until all three of them are launched full time in school. And I want to take that as slow as possible because I really don't believe in full-day Kindergarten. If that is our only choice next year though, I will go back to work next year. I mean, you have to do what you have to do. And I am not cut out to homeschool.

Anyway, I have been thinking about what I really need in a job for it to be satifsying. Ideally, there would be variety, flexibility, problem-solving, challenges, intellectual stimulation, no bureaucracy, little paperwork, lots of autonomy, room for growth, interesting co-workers, on-the-job learning, respectable pay and the opportunity to work with people in a meaningful way.

That is a start. Now ... to figure out what kind of job would be an ideal fit ...

1 comment:

Anita said...

A writer or editor, of course! :)

Hope things work out in making necessary decisions for yourself and your family.