Monday, May 14, 2012

The Only Thing Certain ...

The only thing certain is change and the winds of change are blowing strongly here this May. I have finally, fully, accepted that I cannot be a Lutheran, or a craftsperson, or a decorator, or a mom who hosts church teas. I wish I could be all of these things, but we each have to find our own place in the world. God designed each of us for a unique purpose and we are meant to move toward our calling. Lutheran craftspeople who decorate and host church teas are noble people who have taught me so much. And now it is time to move on ...

Today is my youngest child's last day of Pre-K. I am so sentimental. My Pre-K sweetie will miss her school, teachers and classmates so much. Her experience in this particular preschool was so perfect for her and she loves school so much. It is hard for me to think of her growing up and heading off to full-day Kindergarten, but I know she will be in a wonderful Kindergarten next year. I feel God has led us to our decisions about next year and I know we have made the right decisions for our children.

My sweet current Kindergartener is amazing to watch. She is the most independent of all three of my kids and has mastered a lot of academic stuff all on her own (with the help of her K teacher of course) this year. This fiesty, fiercely independent child of mine can do a lot that I don't know since she refuses to practice or go over learned concepts at home. But whenever I pin her down, it turns out that she has already mastered such concepts; and, rightfully she already knew that about herself :)

And then there is my 8th grader. He has had an interesting ride through the years. I am proud of his progress and feel that he is in a great place in his life to be starting high school. He is ready and I am not really too sentimental about this. It is time for him to create his future and nobody else can do that for him. I am prepared to push his rear up a hill though academically. I pray I won't need to. He can be a tough little cookie ...

So there are 2 1/2 weeks until my older two are out of school for the Summer. I admit that I can hardly wait. It feels like months still to go. Really. I am so over the driving, the church expectations for our family and the early mornings. When it is time to move on, you just finally know. And that feels good :)

2 comments:

Anita said...

I've just read this post and the two previous posts and wonder how things are this school year.

I also related to your feelings about church, although mine are not exactly the same. For me, I used to struggle with not being on a ministry (volunteering). I did it several years, but gave it up because it was stressing me out! While I felt so good while actually giving, the prep time filled me with anxiety. As a mom of three, I gave it up, as well as the mid-week service. My husband still goes, but I have decided to be true to my feelings (which some may call lazy or selfish).

I think I've gotten away from what you're saying, but just want to let you know that you have to continue to try to find what's right for you and your family.

And...things change. Sometimes we circle back around to where we came from. :)

Blesings.

Anita said...

ps. Have you given up blogging?

Even though I have not visited here much, I always wonder about people I've met via the blogs. :)